2007/05/29

Fishing.

I took my oldest daughter to a local lake to fish on Saturday. She is a typical four year olde- if you don't keep things constantly exciting- they loose interest. I baited her hook with a worm and had literally just cast her pole and picked mine up to cast when her bobber just disappeared! I was astonished! She was so very excited. I let her start reeling in, but the fish was too big for her to do it alone. So, we reeled it in together. After a quick fight we brought the fish up. To my amazement it was a cute little catfish. To her it must have seemed a whale! Prior to her catching the fish she kept saying how she was going to catch a giant whale- well, in a way, her wish came true. The fish was a little shorter than her leg. It was so cute how thrilled she was to get a fish.

Later on, it started to rain. I just happen to keep a disposable poncho in my bag in case of heavy rain. I had to put it on her and then cut it to fit. Soon after, Sarah came to pick her up and she was as cheery as could be and told Mommy all about it!

I encourage you to spend some one-on-one time with each of your children because you may not just learn more about them, but learn something about yourself. This trip reminded me that it's not how many fish you catch, but who you are spending time with. Catching fish when fishing with others is just a perk to me anymore. I would rather build and strengthen relationships than solely focus on catching something.

No comments: